Rathbone & Associates Therapists Achieve Highly Regarded DBT Certification
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is a comprehensive multidiagnostic treatment that is effective with adolescents who have difficulty regulating their emotions, thoughts, and behaviors. The treatment creator, Marsha Linehan, has participated in and approved the exceptionally high standards for assessing clinician competence in delivering this treatment and certifying providers.
Not all DBT certifications are the same. Some require minimal training and/or self-report, with no peer review or demonstration of competency. There is no doubt in the field that the gold standard is the DBT-Linehan Board of Certification. In order to become certified by the DBT-Linehan Board of Certification, clinicians must
- Have achieved the required level of professional education and state licensure
- Obtain a minimum of 40 hours of direct, didactic training in DBT
- Have a track record of successful Stage 1 DBT treatment with real clients
- Participate on a DBT consultation team for over one year
- Have read relevant texts and manuals
- Personally complete all the homework assignments required of clients in DBT
- Have taught all the skills in DBT to clients in a skills training group
- Establish and maintain a personal mindfulness practice
- Pass a written examination
- Be recommended by a colleague
- Submit a written case conceptualization on an actual client to demonstrate ability to apply DBT principals and theory to clinical work
- Demonstrate successful clinical work with actual clients through submission of videotaped therapy sessions that are coded for adherence and treatment fidelity
Britt Rathbone has been practicing DBT since 2002, has written professional and parent books on the topic, and was among the inaugural and select group of clinicians to pass these rigorous standards and be recognized as a Certified DBT Clinician. Mr. Rathbone was the first therapist to achieve Certified DBT Clinician status in the metropolitan DC area. Mr. Rathbone leads the DBT treatment team at Rathbone & Associates.
Jeannette Bjorklund is a DBT expert who has been on the DBT treatment team at Rathbone & Associates since 2014. She is skilled at delivering all modalities of DBT and has a special interest in working with young adults.
The only DBT-Linehan Board of Certification Certified DBT Clinicians in the metropolitan Maryland, DC, and Virginia who specialize in adolescence are at Rathbone & Associates. The DBT program prides itself on outstanding outcomes, experienced and professional staff, ongoing training, professional consultation with national experts, and commitment to excellence.